Murray City Library Centennial
Photos by Carole Cannon
Murray City Library celebrated 100 years of service to the Murray community with a gala at the library on Feb. 25. Murray Mayor Dan Snarr, Congressman Jim Matheson and Rep. Tim Cosgrove spoke on the library, and guests enjoyed a recounting of the library's history, music and the presentation of a letter from Governor Gary Herbert. The Murray Library Board of Trustees announced their fundraising effort to place an art-glass window at the library this fall, and the Friends of the Murray Library donated a bronze statue to mark the event. The library opened in 1912, when a group of women donated 500 books and the Carnegie Foundation donated $10,000 for the original building on Vine Street. The library has been in its current location, 166 E. 5300 South, for nearly a decade.
Select galleries are exclusive to saltlakemagazine.com and may not appear in the print edition.
Photo: Amanda Chapman, Kayla Chandler, Chelsea Hofmann, Natalie Hanks