Style Byte “To-Do” list
It’s officially fall and I’m loving it! It’s my favorite time of year —not only for the crisp mornings but for the fashion change-up. Cozy sweaters, great denim and a new hair color; sign me up! The kids are back in school and you have a moment to yourself. Sigh! Here’s a simple to-do list to help spruce up your world.
1. The perfect pair of denim: There is nothing that makes a woman feel more comfortable and confident than a great fitting pair of jeans. This season, take time to find an incredible pair. The skinny leg is still king, but if those don’t work with your body, not to worry. The straight leg is a great alternative, making curvy legs look slimmer, not to mention, it spans a wide age-appropriate spectrum. If boot-cut still rocks your world and fits your shape—don’t stop—it’s all about looking and feeling great.
2. Find a great jacket: A sensational jacket is timeless, effortless and will quickly enhance your closet. It can turn an otherwise simple outfit into an easy look for the office or a sophisticated look for a day of errands. Don’t overcomplicate it, especially if it has interesting details on the front. A silk blouse or an easy cotton tee is perfect. If it’s an open-front blazer – I love to layer on the jewels.
3. Time for new boots: It is essential to have the right shoe to pull off your look. A staple for any fall is a great riding boot and a bootie; and yes, you do need both. I like a versatile riding boot to pair with skinny denim, leggings or even a short dress. Riding boots typically don’t have heals so if you need a heal in your life, then get a bootie with a little lift. Booties pair nicely with a longer dress or skirt, or with skinny denim.
4. Don’t forget the lipstick: Toss out the pinks and glosses and let ‘señior-red’ take center stage. Lipstick is a must (especially in my family). It’s either wear it, or be told to put it on; your choice. As my grandmother and mother always reminded me, it is the easiest and fastest way to get a little lift in your day. Reds rule the season so run out and get your shade. If you are a first timer to lipstick and don’t know what color, then talk to a professional at the make-up counter. The right shade is like the right jean; a must!
5. Accessorize a little: Accessorizing is the key to any good outfit. I hear daily that women just don’t know how to do it, nor have the time to learn. Here are three options to make your morning (and outfit) better. A. Find a great chunky necklace that is isn’t too wild or bold, but will still allow for a transformation. Throw this piece on with jeans and a tee for afternoon errands, or pair it with a beautiful blouse for the office. B. Layer. Layer. Layer. Choose necklaces with varied lengths, beads and pendants. I love mixing silver, gold, and pearls; don’t be afraid. C. If necklaces seem too complicated, choose a great earring and some fun bracelets.
6. Change your hair; Change your perspective: Fall is a great time to spice up your life and there is no easier way than with your locks. Try a fall-type color like gold or auburns, to mix it up. Or if you don’t color, a new hair cut can also make a world of difference. Live a little and cut bangs or fun layers.
Hopefully my Style Byte “to-do” list will help you get a fall lift! And as always if you have style questions come in to Apt. 202 Boutique - we are always happy to help.
Thanks for reading and check back next month for my next Style Byte.
XX Ashley Rothwell-Campagna
Owner, Apt. 202
Lipsticks: Loreal Paris ‘#343 red fatale’. Bobi Brown ‘#3 Raisen’. Bobi Brown ‘#92 Vixen Red’. NARS ‘Falmenco’. Shiseido ‘P23 Real Red’. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar ‘NSFW’. NARS stick ‘Rose Birman’. Bite‘Tannin’.
Denim: Jean wall at Apt. 202: Gentic Denim, Paige Denim and DL1961
Necklaces: Kenneth Jay Lane ‘glass bead necklace’ and Adia Kubir ‘stone necklace.’ Layered nexklaces: Gold ‘bullet’ necklace, silver chains, Roost ‘bobble’ necklace
Shoes: Bootie – Nine West ‘Brettley’ and riding boot – Vince Camuto ‘Bocca’
Hair: Redkin colors courtesy Salon MC