Well we just flew in from Florence last night and boy are my arms tired. And I'm jet-lagged, as you can tell by the lame joke. Anyway, back here in the Salt City blogosphere, I find there are some awesome and one not-so-awesome bits of beer news. Here they are, not in order of awesomeness:
1. In the current print edition of this blog, also known as Salt Lake magazine, the dining listing for Red Rock Junction I mention a beer called Red Rock ale which does not exist. So don't order it. Order an Amber Ale, or one of the other approximately 45 beers they serve in rotation, instead. And try to convince owner Mike Brown that I'm not a complete idiot. Unless you believe otherwise.
So much for the not-so-awesome. On to the awesome.
2. Bohemian Brewery just canned Bohemian Brewery's Cherny Bock Schwarzbier, originally only available on draft. This is the third lager to be canned by Bohemian Brewery (the others are Viennese Lager and Czech Pilsener.) The word "Cherny" means "black" in Czech and refers to the color of this Schwarzbier. "Schwarz" means "black" in German. This one took silver at the Great American Beer Festival. BTW, Bohemian cans all its beers because the Petras family believes it is the most eco-friendly choice and besides, it keeps the beer more securely air-tight and light-free.
3. Next month Epic Brewing Company is breaking ground to expand the brewery by 3,000 square feet, more than doubling their current capacity. Since its grand opening last May, Epic has tripled in size. Think SLC likes beer much?
4. Log Haven is hosting a beer dinner featuring Uinta Brewery's Crooked Line (those are the ones with the labels by Utah artists, like the one by Leia Bell in the picture above) on November 4 from 6:30-8:30. The menu: Tilted Smile Imperial Pilsner Roasted butternut squash soup with beer-battered Dungeness crab cake Detour Double IPA Pale Ale Wild Baja prawns and andouille sausage with hominy roasted pecan cake and chipotle sweet & sour Cockeyed Cooper Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine Ale Ballard Farms pork tenderloin with Gold Creek cherry smoked cheddar and winter wheat berries with chanterelles and bourbon-shallot marmalade Labyrinth Black Ale Chocolate ice cream sandwiches with salted caramel ice cream Food is 21.60, beer is 21.40, total is an even $50.
5. Epic is hosting a beer dinner tomorrow night (Wednesday) at Fresco from 5:00 - 8:00 PM. It is a 5 course tasting menu, each course paired with an Epic beer and the guys (Kevin Crompton and ) will be there to talk about the beer. I just interviewed these guys for an upcoming article and they are tons of fun to talk to. So go.